March 13, 2019

[Misc] Thought Corner: The Great Seungri Scandal

It seems that 2019 will be remembered in Kpop (and general Korean) history for a long while. If you're an avid Kpop follower there's no doubt you've heard all the shenanigans regarding Seungri (and others like Jung Joonyoung) that dates back to January when the first reports surfaces out of Burning Sun club. I can't even put a video or image in the header, this is too serious and sinister to even poke fun at. This will be a messy Thought Corner because there's simply so much bullshit to try and sift through. I'll probably go back and edit this a million times over the next couple days.

Disgusted would be a good place to start. And even then I think to myself if that's even an appropriate word for what has been uncovered - may be too lax. This has quickly become the biggest controversy in Kpop history and justifiably so. What these men have done is despicable and I'm honestly at a loss for words. I got so fucking mad reading the initial reports. I know, I know: Kpop is a business. And business is shady. They always have been, and they always will. This catastrophe is only shedding light on the tip of the iceberg but that doesn't mean you and I can't be absolutely grossed out / furious / whatever adjective you want to use about their actions. None of that shit is okay. I don't care who you are or how much money you have. These are fucking real people with real lives. It's really really really fucked up. Beyond fucked up. And it's scary. Idols are always known for putting on masks whenever there are cameras, and if this isn't that cranked to 1000% I don't know what is. Really makes you think about your interactions with people.

Their scum actions are one thing, but the blind, ignorant fans are another. I don't even spare words for them. The world is full of fools, no matter what country, what culture, and what aspect. Defenders are him are using their hearts and not their heads. And even then I can't comprehend how they could legitimately try and support him still. But I tell you this, they would be spinning a different tale if someone they knew was a victim. To be fair there is blind faith on both sides of the coin so like I said it's not worth trying to view what either of these people have said, doubly so for trying to reason with them.

The Big Bang spin on this is that the other members are all in military service and will come back to this massive shitstorm (no doubt they have begun hearing pieces flow in through the ranks). Despite Seungri being kicked out, this group is done. It's hard to believe they didn't have some idea of what Seungri was up to - and YGE's pathetic attempt at damage control exemplifies that. Yeah, Seungri did not have much presence in their music to begin with but this is something that has spiraled into something crazy, and will forever be linked with the name of Big Bang.

Although there's no final verdict yet, the picture seems very clear: Seungri and Jung Joonyoung are going to fucking jail, and they deserve it (inb4 some bullshit corruption gets them out). I can't fathom how others who are deeper into Kpop or the group feel (especially female fans). Big Bang has been around forever, who knows how long Seungri has been scumming around in the dark. Kpop has always been a product and a performance both on and off the stage but this is...something else. I only hope that everyone who is guilty is brought to the spotlight and that the victims get the help and support they desperately need. Time to stay away from Big Bang's music for a little while...this will take time to recover. Like a Naver comment I found on Twitter, "I feel sorry to trash to even call these guys trash." Enjoy jail, scumbags.

In other news, I am flying out of the country Friday morning for a family matter. I won't be back until next week so unless I do some low tier mobile posting there won't be anything new until I'm back home. Until then, take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment