April 30, 2020

[Bonus] The Late Report: April 2020

Ah, shit. I forgot that there are only 30 days in April. Oh well, we own our mistakes here. If you thought I didn't keep up much with Kpop before the pandemic, then boy this edition is gonna be shorter than Sunny. Let's see what I manage to scrounge up this time around.
Apink - Dumhdurum
One of the oldest surviving groups returned with yet another twist on their more mature sound. Gotta say that I am definitely loving their shift and the songs themselves are pretty solid. Unfortunately, they decided to ruin a completely viable song with the cursed rap line. In three seconds they committed three fouls: had a bad rap, had someone unfit to do said rap, and used the lame rising inflection at the end. The bridge is also pretty mediocre as far as Apink songs go. My sisters asked if I think Naeun had some surgery done, to which I responded "that's pretty much every idol though" and I stand by that. Although if anyone from Apink did something lately, I have a feeling it's Hayoung.
GWSN - Bazooka
As I get older, I find it increasingly hard to get into new groups. Especially when their music sounds like this. This isn't a debut or anything but it is my first exposure to GWSN and I gotta say that I'm not impressed. "Bazooka" is catchy and has a strong chorus but that's really all they have going for them. The scattering of English, chants, and poor rap elsewhere is bad. Better luck next time.
So Are IU Happy Now?
IU and Suga are teaming up for what should be a damn treat. Like I said earlier, it's hard to get invested with new groups which means naturally, I look forward to the established veterans more. This quick teaser gives the scent of an emotional ballad so you already know that's gonna be right up my alley 100%. IU please save the world with your voice.
(G)I-DLE - Oh My God
My instincts from the trailer were correct, "Oh My God" is the successor to "Hann" with the darker aesthetic. Furthermore it combines elements from "Lion" too. Soyeon delivers another exciting and powerful rap performance, though I really did not like the creepy lick thing at the end of her verse. Hopefully that's only something in the MV? Goddamn, I simply love listening to Yuqi's rich voice. They really ought to give her more presence in their music. Shuhua's bridge is a recycled variant of her verse from "Lion" so I can't call that anything but lazy or uninspiring.
Turnip Power
Congratulations to Mamamoo's "Hip" for breaking 100 million views and being their first video to do so. The nostalgist in me wishes it could've been a song like "Piano Man" or "Wind Flower" to have that honor but hey not gonna rain on their parade. Mamamoo have put in the hard work and effort to elevate themselves as a girl group juggernaut and since their early years have continued to put on a show. Their stock will only continue to rise as their consistency and versatility captivate listeners around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment