August 31, 2020

[Bonus] The Late Report: August 2020

August wraps up with a pretty hefty edition of The Late Report. Let's check out what the last month had it store for us. Spoiler alert: there's actually some interesting stuff to go over so that's exciting. From serious to memes, good music to bad, variety is the spice of life.
JYP & Sunmi - When We Disco
And you know I'll start with memes! Twice? Itzy? Nah JYP is the comeback of the month because he's still got the moves even when he's almost 50 years old. Sunmi is of course spectacular in both voice and visual, and it's funny how she got to collab with him after leaving the label. The other funny aspect is the idea that these two put on a very simple choreography display for us after Red Velvet's tutting broke everyone's arms. How thoughtful of the legend.
Lee Hyori Assembles The (Female) Avengers
Holy shit you thought SuperM was a hype ass group? This quartet has it all. Lee Hyori, Uhm Junghwa, Jessi, and Hwasa. That is maximum bad bitch energy right there. That is combined decades of experience, talent, and wisdom all working together. And I expect something magical from this squad. My favorite comment was the in the r/kpop thread where someone said "Lesbians. It is our time." But yeah man I'm really interested in seeing what these four can bring to the table together.
Taemin - 2 Kids
Never have I pretended to know anything about choreography and that isn't changing anytime soon. Especially in my post-dance crew years. Anyway Taemin continues to produce art. That's all I really have to say. Watch the man work.
(G)I-DLE - Dumdi Dumdi
God, if only they'd change their name. It still pains me to type that shit out. Anyway we anticipated some summer jams out of their latest comeback and that's pretty much what we got. The song is nothing special, and in fact I'd call it mediocre both in terms of the group's discography and summer songs as a whole. If you know what "dumdi dumdi" is supposed to mean, I'd like to hear it. Regardless though this group really has a beautiful blend of voices and their music works those strengths constantly. Yuqi's voice is so rich, I fucking love it. Also, super happy that Miyeon got to showcase her skills too. I still think she peaked under K/DA's "Pop/Stars" but did very well nonetheless.
K/DA - Baddest
Speaking of K/DA, they're back! Soyeon reunites with Miyeon under the K/DA flag doing yet more music for League. Soyeon still a beast with her rap segment and Miyeon had another strong prechorus. Bea Miller and Wolftyla weren't to be outdone either. Their parts are smooth and it's really a continuation from the "Pop/Stars" release. It does end kind of awkwardly which is amplified as "Baddest" is much shorter, but the rest of the track is solid. Shame that the video didn't get the same budget or treatment as "Pop/Stars" but at the end of the day I don't care much for music videos to begin with, nor do I play League.
Minaboys Rise Up
I don't know why I can't find the article anymore but I saw that Mina had been sent (rushed?) to the hospital or something along those lines? Keep her in your thoughts and prayers, she's the sweetest and doesn't deserve any bullshit. My negativity roars to the front of my mind, but I really don't want her to join the group that Jonghyun, Sulli, and Hara have. Please.
CLC Takes Flight Again
Poor CLC. They've been on the backburner ever since their hoobae group took off (yes I'm avoiding writing their name as much as possible). Which is not really fair to them since they've had some really damn good songs under their belt. This comeback looks very promising though and I'm hoping this will be the breakthrough that they need to stay relevant. CLC have been going for five years and I have an unsettling feeling that this is close to the end of their road, at least if "Helicopter" doesn't take off (not sorry).
Red Velvet - Milky Way
Our Beloved BoA is a project of sorts by SM in celebration of their champion of 20 years. Red Velvet not only participated, but participated in full. That's right, Wendy is singing for the first time since her unfortunate accident and injury. If this was maybe 2013 me, I'd have teared up just seeing it on screen. But now my emotionless husk sits there, unflinching. Well, okay maybe not to that extent. But if I told you I didn't have a stupid smile on my face when she started singing, I'd be lying to you. Plus I don't care if they did it on purpose or whatever, having Wendy be the last member with individual lines was 100% the right move.
Gallant - Only One
The original plan was to mention Gallant's English rendition under the Red Velvet piece but man it's simply too good to relegate to a mere link. As I've dived deeper and deeper in the R&B realm of Korean music, this speaks out to me in a beautiful way. Really cool that they got Gallant in part of the festivities. The only other time I've heard him was the collab with Tablo and Eric Nam so a full English cover of "Only One" was a fantastic first full song exposure.
Minnie, Mandarin Expert
Let's end things on a very wholesome note. Simply watch the video if you like the members. Even if you don't speak Chinese I think you can appreciate the shenanigans that occur in this video. Yuqi and Minnie are hilarious and I cannot get over Yuqi's laugh. Both their language abilities are remarkable and as a person that speaks multiple languages myself, I love seeing shit like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment