October 16, 2020

[Review] Weki Meki - Cool

As the temperature starts to lower, my despair once again rises. Seriously though this new Blogger is awful and I don't know when I'll get used to it. This is Weki Meki's third appearance in song reviews. Outside of Doyeon, they have yet to wow me in any specific trait or category - and even then, Doyeon stands out due to her looks and not anything related to their music. Now I'm not saying they're bad, just pedestrian and not outstanding. Perhaps "Cool" can live up to its name and buck the trend.


After a handful of listens (because I try my due diligence no matter how I may initially feel about the song), unfortunately the standard has been upheld. For Weki Meki, it's yet another average at best song with no real spectacular traits. The darker more mature sound works pretty well as an overall background but none of these members have broken out or anything of the sort. I don't think the choreography does a good job matching the song's theme or motif at all. This is especially true of the chorus, which is more in line with traditional cuter girl group tracks. Contrast that with the verses and overall feel of "Cool," and it's slightly jarring. The bridge is so unbelievably boring, honestly shocked that's still allowed in 2020. Granted, the video makes things a little more interesting with how the members are all on pedestals and whatever, but damn if that part didn't put me to sleep.

Yoojung has potential as a rapper but I feel like Weki Meki has consistently squandered her opportunities. She does more singing than rapping in "Cool," and when she is "actually" rapping, other members are encroaching on her turf. And to be honest, nobody else is near qualified to do so. It's yet another case of a group taking away from their rapper. Given that the rest of the roster doesn't really impress, I feel they are only stunting their own development and progress. Should Weki Meki thrive and climb out of mediocrity, it will depend on Yoojung.

Man, I'd be lying if I said I wanted to like this song and group. At this point I've strayed far from the Kpop landscape so the primary feeling driving my thoughts is apathy. Weki Meki tried with "Cool" and while they hit in the visuals department, a lack of finesse everywhere else leaves plenty to be desired. Looks like they'll have to wait and try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment